When Aging Parents Won’t Accept Help
Accepting help is difficult for many seniors. If this sounds like your parents, there are solutions that can help!
Acknowledging and accepting the reality that help and support are needed is not an easy thing, especially when it comes to personal care and matters of the home. Accepting support is often accompanied by feelings associated with a loss of independence, along with the emotionally taxing challenge of admitting that abilities are less than they once were. This acknowledgement of a new reality can be devastating.
If someone you care about is hesitant or unwilling to accept help, respecting those feelings is important, as is recognizing how difficult this time must be for them.
It is also important, however, that the necessary care be implemented.
Each of these factors need to be considered when attempting to come up with a suitable arrangement, in a way that is respectful and promotes greater ease in this transition.
Remember to always be patient, and try keeping these suggestions in mind:
- Frame it differently. Sometimes people are more able to accept a Support Worker’s help if it is framed as something that will be beneficial for the family caregiver.
- Introduce the idea gradually and allow ample time for processing and acceptance.
- Offer a trial period. Your loved one may be willing to try engaging with a Support Worker if they feel they have the freedom to change their minds.
- Start the Support Worker with household chores, rather than personal or “hands on” care.
- Often people will listen to their doctor. Ask their doctor to suggest a plan that includes a Support Worker.
- Slowly introduce these additional forms of care and tasks as familiarity and comfort grow.
- Take your parent to visit some nursing homes as a way to explore their options. Many seniors would rather remain in their homes, and might be more willing to accept help if it means they can stay there rather than enter a nursing home.
- Often, cost for services is a major concern. Remember to be sensitive to the reality that most of today’s seniors grew up in the Depression and World War years. Money is always on their mind.
The Retire-At-Home Approach in York / South Simcoe:
For more than 20 years, Retire-At-Home has cultivated an understanding of the frequently experienced resistance associated with accepting help. The majority of our services are introduced by children or family members of loved ones, and these cases often involve the challenge of helping individuals through the process of admitting and accepting that help may be required in their homes.
In response to these challenges, Retire-At-Home’s process involves a free, no-obligation consultation with a nurse to get things started. This consultation involves a guided, one-on-one conversation to address all of the worries, fears, and areas of concern that your loved-one may be facing. Our nurses are often able to encourage individuals to understand that the care they need is the care they should want, by ensuring they are confident that they will be able to maintain a feeling of independence and control.
We advise introducing services in a gradual way, and we make sure that we collect feedback from our clients to make sure they feel they are being heard and consulted through the decision making process.
Contact us today to discuss the home care needs for you or a loved one in York / South Simcoe, or to book a Free Home Care Assessment with our Nurse.
We proudly serve the following communities in York / South Simcoe:
Newmarket, Aurora, Alliston, Tottenham, Beeton, Cookstown, Bradford – West Gwillimbury, Holland, Landing, Schomberg, Nobleton, King City, Mount Albert, East Gwillimbury, Ballantrae, Georgina.
Contact Us Today to Speak with a Home Care Specialist!
Warning: imagepng(/home/r1a2h3h4/public_html/wp-content/uploads/gravity_forms/0-63901bf6c3dfd010d20e83bd70f3c0db/1256151670.png): failed to open stream: Disk quota exceeded in /home/r1a2h3h4/public_html/wp-content/plugins/really-simple-captcha/really-simple-captcha.php on line 144
Read Our Online Reviews!